Today was our last day in the batey. Overnight I was having a lot of thoughts about leaving the guys that we have been working closely with all week and leaving the sweet children. We all worked hard today and "left it all on the field.". The upper latrine got its roof today and we laid a lot of block in the lower latrine. In Batey 105, the foundation was poured for a third latrine.
When we finished work today, we all gathered in the church where we had lunch, VBS, and rested. We honored the men who worked with us all week and shared tearful goodbyes. I got the best hugs from Augustine, the block mason, who was so patient with me all week as I helped him. We were boarding the bus, one of the little boys shouted,"Adina!" We all started laughing.
Here is a random list of things/sayings that stuck with members of our team. Many are inside jokes to the team.
1. "Adina, Adina, Adina - Kiss Me Baby!"
2. "Princesa" Katie
3. The tongs in the bathroom are for what?
4. No pantilones!
5. Piggy back ride - Carrigito
6. You put the cement mixer where?
7. Is that 6 inches or 16 inches?
8. Digging up granite to put in concrete.
9. Porta Juan - Glenn's Office
10. The Apostolic church across the street from the Mission House sings LOUDLY!
11. Water pressure is everything!
12. Batey kids fighting to come to VBS
13. Eggplant pizza
14. Is that goat?
15. Chicken foot!
|Starting a third latrine in Batey 105|
|Latrine #3 with footing poured|
|Latrine #1 nearly completed|
|Dixie helping to do the walls of latrine #2|
|Katie and Corrie painting roof panels|
|Glenn and the pastor of the church that our team used for VBS|
|Our bus driver Louis|
|Construction workers that helped our team|
|Marcos - the construction team boss|
|Anna and her family|
Here are more pictures of the people of the bateys: